Arbitration & Alternative Dispute Resolution
Kaplan Johnson Abate & Bird’s attorneys have experience in advocating on behalf of clients in the ADR setting. The firm’s attorneys mediate and arbitrate all types of disputes, and have successfully handled matters before JAMS, FINRA, the American Arbitration Association (AAA), and the CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution.
Is Arbitration Always More Cost-Effective?
Although there are many (and increasing) parallels between ADR and traditional litigation, the firm’s attorneys are mindful of key differences that should inform strategic decision-making from the outset of a dispute, including the parties’ abilities to craft parameters for resolution, such as “baseball” arbitration or “final offer” arbitration.
As advocates, we understand the need to be prepared to win every case on the facts and law, and we practice each case from the outset with a focus on developing the record and themes to be used at a final arbitration hearing and any interim mediations.
The Best Outcome For You Is Our Goal
We also know that the majority of disputes conclude in a negotiated settlement. We are experienced and well-equipped to achieve the best settlement results possible for our clients. Our attorneys have settled hundreds of millions of dollars in claims by alternative dispute resolution.
In cases involving complex or highly technical principles, we have sometimes used a “nonlawyer neutral” in direct interface with experts retained by the adverse parties to resolve disputes. That process frequently leads to a more efficient, less expensive and more reasoned outcome.
Because arbitrations and ADR proceedings generally occur in private, we cannot provide detailed descriptions of our experience but offer the following examples:
- Successfully represented seller of medical services company in JAMS proceeding relating to calculation and payment of holdback portion of purchase price of company.
- Successfully represented restaurant company in dispute over termination of a supplier of produce, with the AAA Panel granting summary judgment to restaurant company.
- Represented consumer products company successfully in AAA proceeding concerning to licensing agreement and royalty payments.
- Successfully represented individual in FINRA proceeding with broker-dealer concerning termination and Form U5 issues.
- Successfully represented health care payors in AAA and JAMS arbitration and mediation proceedings involving a range of claims brought by and against healthcare providers and medical device manufacturers.
We counsel and represent clients in Metro Louisville and throughout the nation. To speak with one of our lawyers, call our office at 502-416-1630.